muslimgrower.com

Go Back   muslimgrower.com > Growing....palms,cycads,ferns,bamboo

Old 15th August 2017, 06:25 PM
mali

Riz is a glorious beacon of lightRiz is a glorious beacon of lightRiz is a glorious beacon of lightRiz is a glorious beacon of lightRiz is a glorious beacon of lightRiz is a glorious beacon of light

thanks for the update..

you know the roots grow really quick, you need a deep pot otherwise they just get rootbound!!! have you checked to see the state of the roots!?
Old 16th August 2017, 07:05 PM

rafqa is on a distinguished road

Well, thanks-- I'll check them as soon as I get a chance. But especially the ones outside have pretty large pots. And I know the ones I had the first time around, that suddenly up and died, were not root-bound at all when I took them out.

I think I need a Sumerian chant, or something.
Old 16th August 2017, 08:31 PM
mali

Riz is a glorious beacon of lightRiz is a glorious beacon of lightRiz is a glorious beacon of lightRiz is a glorious beacon of lightRiz is a glorious beacon of lightRiz is a glorious beacon of light

well i am just thinking out loud.......

i was thinking its may be too hot for the small seedlings outside thats why they are struggling too grow, maybe let it get a bit bigger so they can handle the sun a bit better, its the same with tomato and chili seedlings, i noticed when i grew them a few seasons ago when the summers were really warm, that too much heat can make the leafs drop on the small seedlings, they recover well when you put them in shade and once they get a bit bigger they can handle the full heat.....
Old 16th August 2017, 08:36 PM
mali

ps.. what type of soil are you using, the type for seedlings !?
Old 16th August 2017, 11:44 PM

I used fresh potting soil. I guess it's not specifically for seedlings, but it shouldn't be too compressed.

The heat has been horrible here this year. I think it has really affected my tomatoes and cucumbers (both growing and fruiting). These seedlings were put outside before it got really hot, and when it did get hotter I moved them into an area where they mainly get morning sun. They're also with other, larger plants, so there's some filtering and cooling, too.

But they're date palms! I would think if anything could withstand some heat, they could. I mean, my forget-me-not seedlings are out in the full sun and they're like "So what?"
Old 16th August 2017, 11:53 PM
mali

hmmm..

well remember date palm trees grow in really bad sandy soil with not much nutrients in it, places like arabia they thrive in bad soil, so maybe the potting soil is way too rich for the roots!? i dunno though i have grown from seed before in potting soil and mine turned out ok albeit in UK we have really cool summers...
Old 18th August 2017, 02:11 AM

I was trying to look back in the thread at pictures but of course 3/4 of the photos are gone.

They're really only about 3 months old, and they do look about like other people's, like e.g. here http://www.muslimgrower.com/discussi...&postcount=190

I was just hoping the ones outdoors would grow at a better rate. I don't want to nurse them along for a year again and then have them die!

Mine are all Medjool seedlings-- have you noticed any difference in growth rates?
Old 18th August 2017, 07:38 PM
mali

the seeds i germinated were from palestinian dates i bought from the shop during ramadhan so i am not sure what exact kind it was.....

Tags
date, date kernel, germination, palm, palm trees