muslimgrower.com

Go Back   muslimgrower.com > welcome to muslimgrower > vegetable patch > fungai

Old 3rd September 2008, 06:21 PM

~Obsidian~ is a name known to all~Obsidian~ is a name known to all~Obsidian~ is a name known to all~Obsidian~ is a name known to all~Obsidian~ is a name known to all~Obsidian~ is a name known to all

Bukhari :: Book 8 :: Volume 73 :: Hadith 41
Narrated Anas bin Malik (RA):

The Prophet SAWS said,

"If any Muslim plants any plant and a human being or an animal eats of it,
he will be rewarded as if he had given that much in charity."

Old 4th September 2008, 02:46 PM
mali

Riz is a glorious beacon of lightRiz is a glorious beacon of lightRiz is a glorious beacon of lightRiz is a glorious beacon of lightRiz is a glorious beacon of lightRiz is a glorious beacon of light

i didnt get much of a crop too be honest with you. on the back of the packet it said you can harvest the mushrooms on 3 diffrent occasions with the same spores but i only managed one grow, but it was intresting growing mushrooms with zero light, if only you could do that with vegetables eh lol
Old 4th September 2008, 02:55 PM

~Obsidian~ is a name known to all~Obsidian~ is a name known to all~Obsidian~ is a name known to all~Obsidian~ is a name known to all~Obsidian~ is a name known to all~Obsidian~ is a name known to all

Sure you can, if you want etiolated plants

Just chalk it down to experience eh thinking to grow more?

The Prophet SAWS said,

Old 4th September 2008, 02:57 PM
mali

Riz is a glorious beacon of lightRiz is a glorious beacon of lightRiz is a glorious beacon of lightRiz is a glorious beacon of lightRiz is a glorious beacon of lightRiz is a glorious beacon of light

naaa.. i enjoyed growing them , i was curious for a while i am glad i did it though
Old 4th September 2008, 06:47 PM
seedling Member

globalart4u is on a distinguished road

you need to be careful with wild mushroom we used to go looking for porcini in belgium in the county of luxembourg, not to be mixed up with country. they were great but i went with italians who knew what they were looking for.

We stopped eating mushrooms as someone told us they were grown in pig waste but i could never find out if it was true or not so as a precaution we stopped
Old 5th September 2008, 06:02 AM

Te'oma is on a distinguished road

mabrooks on a job well done. Most people that try to grow one of these kits usually fail.
Growing mushrooms can be addicting, especially if you start getting into growing the more exotic wood lovers like ****akes or oysters. The agaricus busporis mushrooms are what most of us fungifiles get started with but the truth is that you don't need to buy a kit if you want to grow them.
I grow mushrooms outdoors in beds. It's a great way to make rich soil for other flowers and veggies to be planted after the spawn has run it's course
Old 5th September 2008, 12:59 PM

How do you grow them outside?

The Prophet SAWS said,

Old 6th September 2008, 05:52 AM

it depends on the mushroom. Agaracus Bispora is a dung lover so to grow them I would first, grow a culture out on agar and transfer that to a flask of rye seeds to grow on or wheat. When it has grown all through that, this is where it gets messy, I would collect some fresh horse dung or cow dung.
I place it all in large cotton bags and boil it in water in a 200 litre barrell for about 1.5 hours. This pasteurizes the dung and removes excess nitrogen and other nutrients. The bags are then hung to drain and cool for 12 hours.
The next step, while the bags are hanging, is to dig a hole about 20 cm deep and as long as you need for the amount of spawn that you wish to grow. Make sure that it's in an area that is shady. Set the soil aside because you will be needing it again.
When the dung has cooled, fill a 20L pail about 4/5 full with the dung and mix in 250-500 ml of rye grain or wheat that has been infected with the mushroom. You have to mix it well, by hand, making sure to break up any large clumps. Once it's all mixed, you can fill the bed with the dung/mushroom mix to create a layer about 15 cm deep. Keep the layer nice and even.
Once the bed is completely full, you spread a 5 cm layer of soil over top of the mix. If your soil is very alkaline, then I would suggest that you use commercial potting soil.
Keep the soil moist but not wet. Within about 2 weeks you will see white mycelium growing up through the soil. To initiate pinning you need to have about 75% humidity and temps around 70-80F at soil level so if necessary, you can cover the bed with plastic sheeting to increase humidity. It's a little harder to control temps though.
Usually you will get mushrooms in the spring and in the fall from this method. When the bed stops producing, dig it up and use it as an excellent soil booster.
Old 6th September 2008, 09:34 PM
mali

Nice write up

you can grow them on "logs" aswell cant ya !? do you have any experience on it ? i would love to see some pics thats if you taken any...
Old 7th September 2008, 03:05 AM

growing on logs is limited to species like oysters, ****akes or giant stropharias. I used to have a small side business growing gourmets for local restaurants but I lost all of my old pix when my hd crashed.